What should I avoid in Malaysia?
12 Things You Should Never, Ever Do in Malaysia
- Carry drugs into the country.
- Negotiate the roads if you’re new to driving.
- Leave the house without an umbrella.
- Let down your guard while shopping.
- Walk home alone at night.
- Insult the local cuisine.
- Stir up racial tension.
- Ride an unmetered taxi.
What do girls wear in Malaysia?
The current traditional dress for women is baju kurung, which comprises of a knee-length, full-sleeved blouse and a long skirt called kain. The skirt is pleated on one side. This attire is usually accompanied by a scarf on the head. A semi formal version is the kebaya, which is a skin-fit two piece costume.
Can you wear revealing clothes in Malaysia?
Malaysia Style Tips
When deciding what to wear in Malaysia, it is good to know that Kuala Lumpur is a cosmopolitan city where there is no particular dress code and you will find all fashions. … T-shirts and shorts are perfectly acceptable, but avoid skimpy or revealing clothes or you will get unwanted attention.
Is it OK to wear shorts in Malaysia?
While it is preferable to wear pants in Kuala Lumpur, it is fine to wear skirts and shorts. Just don’t wear “short shorts” or mini skirts. Mid-thigh shorts and skirts are generally sufficient. … If the weather is particularly warm, don’t worry about torturing yourself by wearing pants.
Can you kiss in Malaysia?
Now is the public kissing and hugging, which though accepted by most non-Muslim Malaysians as a normal expression of affection, now found to be indecent. What was previously accepted by many Malaysians as normal is now treated as immoral and indecent.
Is there a dress code in Malaysia?
Malaysia is hot and humid, so you need to dress comfortably. … There is no specific dress code for visitors in the capital, Kuala Lumpur. You’ll see Malaysian women wearing a scarf or veil over their hair, some wearing loose clothing that covers them entirely, as well as women in shorter skirts, fitted tops and heels.
Does Malaysia have dress code?
Islamic tradition suffuses the dress code for locals, Muslim or otherwise, and dictates that both men and women should keep torsos covered; shirt sleeves, if short, should come down to the elbow (for women, long-sleeved tops are preferable), while shorts or skirts should extend down to the knee (long trousers are ideal …
How can I be polite in Malaysia?
Meeting and Greeting
- Shake hands with men at business meetings and social events. Shake hands again when leaving.
- Nod or give a slight bow when greeting a woman or an older person. Introduce higher ranking people or older people first. …
- Western women should greet Malay men with a nod of their head and a smile.
What are some norms in Malaysia?
Malaysian cultural customs
- In Malaysia, there are three major ethnic groups; Malays, Indians, and Chinese.
- Handshakes are appropriate only amongst men; only use your right hand.
- Women should greet men with a nod and smile; while greeting women, men may bow while placing their hand on their heart.